Guest Blog By Poppy Smith
It’s a New Year and it’s time to plan. What Does God want you to do this year?
This is so good that I wanted to repost from 2017.
The land you are to take possession of is a land of mountains and valleys that drinks rain from heaven. It is a land the Lord your God cares for, the eyes of the Lord your God are continually on it from the beginning of the year to its end. ~Deuteronomy 11:11-12
These assuring words of Moses from long ago are comforting as we step into the year, 2017. There is strife, division, despair, and fear across the globe and among Christians. In the midst of our concerns, God is speaking. He has not abandoned this world, or you, or me.
Moses Reminds of a Truth
- The Lord, your God, cares for you. He does—even when you’re facing mountains which seem overwhelming or like deep, painful and discouraging valleys.
- The eyes of the Lord are continually on you. His lovingkindness is always towards you.
God wants us to trust Him with joyful anticipation as we work on our planners, lists, dreams, and goals. Here are some more in-depth and more direction-defining questions to ask ourselves before we start our plans. These come from my newest book, Go For It! Make Your Life Count for God.
When I Am Old
- What do I want to look back on as having been an essential part of my life? What priorities do I need to establish now, as of first importance?
- What do I want to have accomplished, experienced, or achieved with my life? How does God want to use the gifts and passions He created for me this year?
- Where will I want to have invested my time, energy, and resources? What areas of this world’s needs call me to act now?
- What kind of person do I hope to be? My character is not set in concrete. Where do I need God’s help to change?
- What do I hope people will say about me? How can I become a woman God uses to lift up others?
Let me encourage you to take some time to think through your long-term priorities. Then watch how they’ll help you make your best choices for 2018.
Poppy Smith inspires women to thrive spiritually, emotionally, and personally. She is a former BSF teacher with a Masters in Spiritual Formation, an international speaker, and award-winning author. She is currently writing a leaders guide for her motivational book, Go for It! Make Your Life Count for God. To follow Poppy’s blog and ministry, visit www.poppysmith.com.